Area codes are 850 unless noted.
In the Mood
NICEVILLE – Let the brassy big band sounds of In the Mood take you back in time to one of America's greatest musical generations — the 1940s Swing Era — at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 2 at the Mattie Kelly Arts Center at Northwest Florida State College, Mainstage. Tickets are $35 each. Call 729-6000 or visit www.mattiekellyartscenter.org.
Call to Artists
FORT WALTON BEACH – The Arts and Design Society is inviting artists across the Southeast to submit works for the 21st Southeast Regional Juried Fine Arts Exhibition, hosted by Northwest Florida State College. JPEG images are due by midnight Feb. 4 for the Exhibition, which runs from April 21 through May 31. Call 244-1271.
Snowbird Movie Matinees
DESTIN –The Destin Library will host a free movie matinee, “Moonride Kingdom,” for winter visitors at 2 p.m. Feb. 6. Seating limited to 30 on a first‐come, first‐serve basis. For information, call 837-8572.
Art Exhibits: Mystical Arts of Tibet: Mandala Sand Painting
NICEVILLE – The Tibetan Lamas of Drepung Loseling Monastery return to create a sand mandala over the course of five days, Feb. 4-9, in the McIlroy Gallery at Mattie Kelly Arts Center. The event is free. Call 729-6044.
Destin Mardi Gras Celebration
DESTIN – The Fifth Annual Mardi Gras on the Destin harbor with stilt walkers and the Village Brass Band, begins at 8 p.m. Feb. 8 with a Mardi Gas Pub Crawl led by Destin Nights. For a $10 donation, participants receive a wristband good for free Mardi Gras swag, drink specials and live music throughout the evening. Proceeds benefit American Cancer Society Relay for Life.
• Grande Mardi Gras Parade: More than 100 parade entries will roll, float, pedal and push their from AJ's Seafood and Oyster Bar to the west end of HarborWalk Village 2 p.m. Feb. 9. All parade participants and the viewing public are asked to bring boxes of food or cash donations for Destin's Harvest House.
• Texas Hold ‘Em on The Harbor: The Rotary Club of Destin hosts a Mardi Gras dinner, blackjack and raffle prizes at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 9 in the HarborView Room. For tickets, visit www.holdemontheharbor.com. Proceeds benefit the humanitarian projects of The Rotary Club of Destin.
• Mardi Gras Pardi Paddle: Sponsored by Kitty Hawk Kites, the event begins at noon Feb. 10.
• Mardi Gras Concert: Enjoy Blues, Rock and Zydeco music with The DizzyJukes Band at 2 p.m. Feb. 10.
• Fat Tuesday: Free Red Beans and Rice anad Hurricanes Specials at 5 p.m. Feb. 12, sponsored by Village Merchants and Poppy's Crazy Lobster.
Mardi Gras Masquerade
DESTIN – The fourth annual Mardi Gras Masquerade will be held from 6-8 p.m. Feb. 8 on Main Street and in Center Plaza at Destin Commons. The family friendly event features live music with local favorite Heritage, Cajun boil, Louisiana gumbo from Time Out Sports Bar, arts and crafts, face painting, street dancing, Captain Davy pirate magic and a luminous Mardi Gras Parade and fireworks finale at 8 p.m.
First Arts Concert
FORT WALTON BEACH – Pianist Thomas Pandolfi returns to First Arts Concert Series at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 8 in the sanctuary at First United Methodist Church, 103 First St. Tickets are available at www.firstartsconcerts.com, Pavlic’s Unique Florist in Destin, Kitchenique in City Market in Destin, Bayou Books in Niceville, Playground Music and P. S. Gifts in Fort Walton Beach and in the church office. Call 863-2436 or 243-9292.