by Savannah Evanoff
Houndsfest is more than a beer festival, it’s an anniversary celebration.
Houndsfest 2016 marks Idyll Hounds Brewing Company’s second year brewing beer and its first year with a tap room.
Co-owner Shawn Sherman said a year ago the brewery went from a picnic table and a small freezer with taps to a bar with tables and a chalkboard boasting 24 available craft beer selections ready to pour.
“I think it’s important to do something special just to celebrate the fact that our brewery is in business for another year, watching the community grow,” Sherman said. “Watching all the people that have become our loyal fans of the brewery get to come out.”
The second annual festival will be from noon to 5 p.m. Oct. 8 at Idyll Hounds Brewing Co., located at 845 Serenoa Rd. in Santa Rosa Beach. Tickets are $30 and will include a free glass, T-shirt, sticker and first pour.
Frasier Hansen, who shares ownership of Idyll Hounds with Sherman, said the festival will feature 24 taps of different types of beer such as Oktoberfest, German style, sour and IPAs. Hansen most looks forward to the barrel-aged Imperial Stout, he said.
It also will offer food from vendors and live music.
“It’s a lot in one day,” Sherman said. “It’s like the fireworks of the year all thrown out at one time. It’s all local.”
Last year was a test run, but this year will have more of everything, Hansen noted. That includes people, as the festival capped at 350 in 2015 but is expected to draw an estimated 600 this year, he said.
“It really started out as an Oktoberfest …” Hansen said. “It turned into something more. It landed right on our two-year anniversary … This area is definitely in need of an Oktoberfest.”
The following information was provided from Facebook and online event pages.
Oktoberfest at Bluewater Bay
- When: 5-10 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Winn-Dixie Shopping Plaza, 4512 E. Highway 20, Niceville
- Cost: Free admission. Great entertainment: Joe Occhipinti German Band, musician Gary Schmitz, accordionist Walter Kasprzyk, Highsteppers Dance Troupe, Coco the Clown
Ye Olde Brothers Brewery
- When: 3-9 p.m.
- Where: 4458 U.S. Highway 87, Navarre
- Cost: Free admission. There will be live music from 5-9 p.m. and two traditional German Fest Biers brewed at the brewery will be featured
Sept. 30-Oct. 1
30A Craft Beer & Spirits Festival
- When: 6 p.m. Friday, 5 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Gulf Place, 95 Laura Hamilton Boulevard, Santa Rosa Beach
- Cost: $45 one-day general admission. 100 percent of all proceeds benefit the Seaside School Foundation
Juana’s Oktoberfest Beer Tasting
- When: Noon to 4 p.m.
- Where: Juana’s Pagodas, 1451 Navarre Beach Causeway, Navarre
- Cost: $20 to taste
- When: Noon to 5 p.m.
- Where: Idyll Hounds Brewing Co., 845 Serenoa Road, Santa Rosa Beach
- Cost: $30 ticket
Lagunitas Craft Beer Tasting Dinner
- When: 6-9 p.m.
- Where: Emerald Grande, 10 Harbor Boulevard, Destin
- Cost: $65 per person plus gratuity and tax
Baytowne Wharf Beer Fest at Sandestin
- When: 6-8 p.m. Friday, 1-6 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Baytowne Wharf Events Plaza, 244 Fisherman’s Cove, Miramar Beach
- Cost: Tickets range starting at $30. On Saturday there will be more than 200 domestic and international craft beers available for sampling
- When: 6-10 p.m. Friday, 1-10 p.m. Saturday and 1-8 p.m. Sunday
- Where: Jacksonville Beach Sea Walk Pavilion, 1st Street N., Jacksonville Beach
- Cost: Tickets range starting at $25
Blues, Brews, and BBQ
- When: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Where: HarborWalk Village, 10 Harbor Boulevard, Destin
- Cost: Tasting wristband, $25 in advance ($30 day of event), $25 military, $50 VIP in advance ($55 day of), Under 21 years old: $15 in advance ($20 day of)